I was sitting quietly in my room, disturbing and talking to no one while doing so. Everyone I knew in college was talking about going home for the extended weekend. I decided that it's pointless to go home for twenty-four hours and kill the already on lifeline financial situation.
Father made me a video call just as I was about to dump my homecoming plans and fall back into a slumber. I picked up the call and instead of him, they had put my two-year-old nephew Dev in front of the camera. He screamed in ecstasy as he saw his favorite uncle in the screen. He put up the most wonderful smile and screamed "Chachu!" and I swear I almost teared up watching my bundle of joy jump around here and there, calling my name. So I decided that I must go, lift him and listen to his incredible laughter I long to hear. It was still around 9 pm here. "If I leave in next thirty minutes, it's not crazy to think that I can reach Mumbai by one in the morning and from there a cut throat of Baroda Express to Borivali. Perfect! I can do this.", I murmured. Shantanu and Arijit were still bewildered as to what was happening. I shouted "I'm off to home!" and off I ran.
I've been terrible at Maths all my life but traveling is something I am great at. I had kept buffer time for traffic and the unpredictable nature of Indian Railways. I took a cab to Wakad and from there I took a shuttle cab to Mumbai which dropped me off at Dadar in less than three hours, for a lot less than a Bus would have taken me. I got off at Dadar on time but the real challenge was to reach Borivali on time. Mumbai locals are fast, but I struggle with different lines. Dadar is a junction and connects Western, Central and Harbor lines. I finally caught a slow local to Borivali because the next fast one was almost fifteen minutes late. Baroda Express didn't wait for me, even though the evil train is named after my city! Awadh Express was right behind though, and I luckily got. I was breathing Baroda's air in five hours and it was as fresh as it always has been.
Since my trip was kept a secret, the house went into a jovial mood. The food was brought to me from my favorite breakfast corner and the room felt so warm. Dev was sleeping when I arrived and I kept staring him in wonder, waiting for him to rise. He woke up with his usual but ever so majestic smile and we were instantly running around the house, playing and jumping as the room echoed our laughter.
As I went around driving my scooter around the city, the city kept the same slow speed which I loved.
I was smiling, with the wind in my hair, home made me feel comfortable, and almost invincible.
Father made me a video call just as I was about to dump my homecoming plans and fall back into a slumber. I picked up the call and instead of him, they had put my two-year-old nephew Dev in front of the camera. He screamed in ecstasy as he saw his favorite uncle in the screen. He put up the most wonderful smile and screamed "Chachu!" and I swear I almost teared up watching my bundle of joy jump around here and there, calling my name. So I decided that I must go, lift him and listen to his incredible laughter I long to hear. It was still around 9 pm here. "If I leave in next thirty minutes, it's not crazy to think that I can reach Mumbai by one in the morning and from there a cut throat of Baroda Express to Borivali. Perfect! I can do this.", I murmured. Shantanu and Arijit were still bewildered as to what was happening. I shouted "I'm off to home!" and off I ran.
I've been terrible at Maths all my life but traveling is something I am great at. I had kept buffer time for traffic and the unpredictable nature of Indian Railways. I took a cab to Wakad and from there I took a shuttle cab to Mumbai which dropped me off at Dadar in less than three hours, for a lot less than a Bus would have taken me. I got off at Dadar on time but the real challenge was to reach Borivali on time. Mumbai locals are fast, but I struggle with different lines. Dadar is a junction and connects Western, Central and Harbor lines. I finally caught a slow local to Borivali because the next fast one was almost fifteen minutes late. Baroda Express didn't wait for me, even though the evil train is named after my city! Awadh Express was right behind though, and I luckily got. I was breathing Baroda's air in five hours and it was as fresh as it always has been.
Since my trip was kept a secret, the house went into a jovial mood. The food was brought to me from my favorite breakfast corner and the room felt so warm. Dev was sleeping when I arrived and I kept staring him in wonder, waiting for him to rise. He woke up with his usual but ever so majestic smile and we were instantly running around the house, playing and jumping as the room echoed our laughter.
As I went around driving my scooter around the city, the city kept the same slow speed which I loved.
I was smiling, with the wind in my hair, home made me feel comfortable, and almost invincible.
I still miss Baroda, which I shall visit only in my winter break next. But until then, Do svidaniya!
Comments
Post a Comment