To view the first chapter of the story, click here
To view the second chapter, click here
This chapter is the last one of the fiction story, 'And there she was...''
Thank you all for reading!
The phone kept
ringing. Unknown number. I never pick up calls from unknown numbers as 9 out of
10 times they are from some freaking bank desperately wanting me to avail their
free credit card offer or it’s from Vodafone.
It kept on ringing. But the third time it rang, I picked it up supposing Vodafone or any bank cannot be so desperate. I was wrong. It was from a bank! ‘’Fuck you for waking me up in the middle of my afternoon nap!!’’, I said and hung up. Not sure what to do now, I switched on my PC and started working on that Presentation on Indo-China relations.
And the phone rang again; kept on ringing, for a fewer than fifteen minutes. ‘’I wouldn't pick it up this time, I know you’re just those ‘Sir we are offering you a free credit card’ jerks!!’’, I said, grinning, just like Sherlock Holmes does when he unearths a mystery.
The call, It wasn't
Vodafone or some shit bank. It was Neha.
Let me tell you
everything from the beginning. The last time we met at Santosh Cafe, we chatted for long. So long that we didn't realize
it was dark already! You know how I told you about the people from different
species? Like we can connect with them so well.
She was the one. Out of everything she said, and trust me she talks a
lot, I remember only what she was wearing that day. Salwar-Kamiz.
She looked so incredible
with all that excitement on her face for her sister’s wedding. That hair
playing on her face, sometimes coming up to her deep brown eyes and that smile
and those lips. I was completely stunned. I was in love.
As it began to get darker, the night seemed to have taken both of us in its embrace; the situation couldn't have been more romantic. It was already eight and she said something about her sister texting her to come home fast. It’s obvious. With all those rapes and murders happening all the time in the city, even I wanted her to be back home. She started to get up, collecting her shopping bags and some other stuff and some voice from anywhere but not from my mouth blurted out, ‘’ I love you Neha’’ and she looked at me with her eyes as wide as the entrance of the Taj-Mahal.
Surprised? Angry? Happy? Sad? I was trying to make out what her eyes were saying. I assumed that she was Sad. ‘What the hell did I just say? I ruined everything!’ I thought. Not sure what to say I started ‘’ I’m so sorry Neha! I didn't mean that. I was just... I understand you just want to be friends... And I’m-so-sorry...’’
And then she smiled. A smile so magnificent that it left me blank. I said nothing, feeling embarrassed. She continued what she was doing, collected her stuff and we walked to her car. I could hear the silence between us. That walk from the table to the car seemed to be never ending. She opened the door and stopped. I was confused. She came close to me. And then closer. And the so close that I could feel her breathing. She pulled me in and we kissed. And kissed for so long that I felt I lived my whole life. She slowly pulled away and looked me in the eye. ‘’I love you too stupid’’, she said. And we kissed again.
I came straight back
home. Thinking only about her. She kept lingering in my mind all night and I
was smiling the following morning too. I went to the college but bunked the
afternoon lecture as I thought it was a complete waste when all I’m picturing
is Neha all the time.
Back home I tried
taking an afternoon nap but couldn't because of those jerks from bank which
brings us to now.
I’m still working on my project when Krishna, the guy next door bangs open the front door and cries for me. I stood up and went to the living room and shouted, ‘’ what the hell are you up to Krishna? Couldn't you wait for me to answer the door?! What’s wrong? ‘’
He was still trying to catch his breath. After I gave him a glass of water, he finally managed to speak. ‘’ Did you hear?? A girl got raped last night near the Santosh cafe!! A few guys kidnapped her and.. and... she.... is in some hospital now!!’’
Not believing what I had just heard, I started running. I was horrified. With all the thoughts in my mind, I was sweating like anything. ‘’ That girl can’t be Neha’’ ‘’ No she cannot be her’’ ‘’What if she...’’ ‘’What if they just..’’ ‘’ Oh no! Please no!! ‘’ ‘’God no’’! I drove as fast as I could to her place, breaking three traffic signals in a row. I couldn't think of calling her or anyone else. I couldn't think of stopping by and check the news on the TV. I had to see Neha, now!
She lived in Connaught place. Parking my car in front of her hostel, I ran past the security guard almost pushing him over and climbed up to her floor crying her name out. I banged on her door and someone; I don’t remember who she was because of all the freaking thoughts. ‘’Where’s Neha?!’’ I questioned. Puzzled, she said with an annoying tone, ‘’Why? Who are you?’’ Where’s Neha?!!’’ I asked again with tears coming down my cheek. Guessing my name, she told me she was in the Kalawati hospital and my worst fears were coming to reality. Within a time of less than a split second, without saying back anything to the lady, I drove down to the hospital.
Now literally sobbing, I went down to the reception and asked for Neha. The receptionist checked something into the computer and said, ‘’Room 36’’. It was on third floor. I climbed up like a monkey climbs up a tree. There it was, ROOM 36. Not sure if I was allowed in there, I burst opened the door and found her on the Bed. But to my surprise, she seemed completely normal. Only thing I could see was that she was lying on the bed with a fractured leg. My eyes were still red and had kinda swollen up. I pulled her up the bed and hugged her. Now crying like a baby, I asked her, ‘’ Are you all right?!’’
‘’Yeah, I am okay except the fractured leg but I don’t think you are! What’s wrong?!’’
Not sure what to do,
her friends excused us two.
Feeling loss of breath, I cried, ‘’ Thank you God!! I knew that was not her!! Thank you!!!
Bewildered with my reaction, she yelled, ‘’Hey Mister! Will you even tell me what’s going on?!’’
I smiled at her and
kissed her on her forehead. I looked at
her and noticed how beautiful she looks even wearing those hospital clothes.
I finally asked her, ‘’Ms. Neha? Will you marry me?’’
YES was the answer!
Comments
Post a Comment